Messages

Friday, July 23, 2010

Real Experience in Managing Persons

I was a Branch Manager in State Bank of India in a small town
I had already surplus subordinates to do messengerial jobs
My superiors found one arrogant employee who tried to assault his previous Manager and he was purposely posted to my Branch
He was very arrogant and even will not respond to my wish of a Good Morning
Then I simply ignored him
I did not give him or allot any work to him
But I was very good at HR and my activities and actions in dealing with the customers and other staff was watched by him
He became very curious as to my intentions and could not digest that a Manager can also act as I did
His all previous Managers were authoritative and did not follow any HR practices
As I was found to be an odd man out of the Managers species he could not control himself any longer
After a few months he dashed into my chamber and shouted at me
'Why did you become a Branch Manager ?
Why are you behaving so ?
I am unable to fight with YOU'
Then I laughed and asked him what he wants me to do
He wanted work to be allotted to him hereafter
I asked him to take up any work he likes and do it giving him complete freedom and told him that I have confidence in him
Surprisingly he took up the work of assisting the clerk who usually closes the Branch Books in the evening which is very tedious and time consuming process requiring lot of patience and expertise
He started sitting late hours voluntarily with the clerk whose working hours are staggered while his was not as per the allotment done and help finish the work faster and with ease with his full committed assistance
I could only provide him my office car to go home daily evening as transportation to his village is a difficult one with less frequency and time consuming which he accepted gladly as he had no other alternative and it gave him a lot of satisfaction and raised his value in the eyes of his relatives and other villagers
That he is dropped daily in the office car meant for the Branch Manager
My offers for supply of snacks in the evening was not accepted by him
Such is the transition that took place in him and I was happy that atleast I could tap his potential and made it to the better use for the organisation
Thus so much talent is unfound and go waste in the world in many organisations
Digg this

1 comment:

  1. Thank YOU Lara for the invitation
    Education Experience Expertise and Eagerness to learn and improve makes one a real, efficient and effective Manager

    When one adds a pinch of salt in the form of sincerity, honesty, humaneness and hard work he/she will become one of the top Managers in the world
    Sharing Networking Discussions one to move towards perfection
    All the Best

    ReplyDelete